Dr. Kathryn Hyer Scholarship
The Florida Chapter of American College of Healthcare Administrators (ACHCA) believes that the quality of care and life in a long-term care health facility begins with the Administrator’s quality of education.
Dr. Kathryn Hyer, Ph.D., MPP. was an educator and driving force at the
University of South Florida, where she made a profound impact on the care of elder adults
using her expertise and knowledge to educate, cultivate and mentor emerging healthcare
Administrators, to develop excellence in the delivery of quality care. She devoted her life to
the advancement of long-term care administration education and the efforts of ACHCA.
Therefore, ACHCA-FL is honored to establish the Dr. Kathryn Hyer Scholarship Fund in her memory. ACHCA-FL invites all current ACHCA Student Members in good standing to apply for the Dr. Kathryn Hyer Scholarship. The Chapter will award one scholarship annually of up to $900.00. The Scholarship recipient will receive full reimbursement towards the cost of the Florida Licensed Healthcare Administrator examination fee and a complimentary first-year ACHCA Emerging Professional membership.
1. Must be enrolled in or recently graduated from a Nursing Home Administrator AIT program or enrolled in a recognized university/college training program for nursing home administrators;
2. Active Member of ACHCA (for student membership, download an application or apply online) for at least 3 months prior to the date of application (must show regular
participation in Chapter events, etc.);
3. The candidate of the Dr. Kathryn Hyer Scholarship must live in Florida and take the Florida LNHA examination.
Qualification & Application
1. Applicants must submit:
a. Proof of current ACHCA membership
b. Recent receipt of payment for upcoming Healthcare Administrator test fee (one-time reimbursement)
c. Provide two letters of nomination/recommendation (if enrolled in an AIT program, one letter must be from your preceptor; if a student, one letter must be from your advisor/professor)
d. Prepare a one-page paper describing your intentions for your future in long-term care administration (i.e., your goals, what drives you to excel, what you believe your contributions will be to the profession, the importance of membership in our organization,and how it can benefit you and others in your career).
e. The recipient of the scholarship will be expected to remain an active participant with the FL chapter of ACHCA for a term of not less than one (1) year.
2. Applicants must also submit their current resume or curriculum vitae and all other supporting materials via e-mail to Karen Northover, Florida Chapter President.
3. The deadline for all submissions is August 1st of each year.
1. The ACHCA-FL Board will review all application submissions after the set deadline. The ACHCA Florida Chapter President will notify the recipient once a decision has been made.
2. Upon proof of successful completion of the Florida Licensed Healthcare Administrator examination the recipient will be reimbursed for his/her examination fee. The Florida Chapter will submit payment to ACHCA National for annual membership of the scholarship recipient as a first-time Emerging Professional member. These combined criteria will be awarded up to the
maximum amount of the award.
Questions regarding the Dr. Kathryn Hyer Scholarship Fund can be directed to ACHCA Florida Chapter President, Karen Northover. The ACHCA Florida Chapter accepts donations to support the Dr. Kathryn Hyer Scholarship Fund.